Congratulations to Matthew Wignall who won our Battle of Britain 80th anniversary audio drama competition out of more than 120 entries. You can listen to Matthew's play A Gingerbread Man in the R.A.F below.
'A Gingerbread Man in the R.A.F' - full audio drama
As we marked the 80th anniversary of the Battle of Britain, we invited the nation to join us for a unique chance to honour the brave men and women who served our country by having their Battle of Britain-themed play turned into an audio drama. After carefully reviewing the entries, our judges chose the winner.
The winner and runner ups
- A Gingerbread Man in the R.A.F by Matthew Wignall — Winner!
- The RAF Pilot and the WAAF Cook by Stephanie de Winter — 1st runner up
- First and Last Battle by Jem Shaw — 2nd runner up
Other shortlisted plays
- The Sky is My Village by Shaun Jeffery
- Our Finest Hour by Reba Blasdale-Smith
- Requiem for a Hero by Rob Hall
- The German by Jason Etherington
- Eager for the Air by Rachel O'Neill
- '19' by Alexa Kesselaar
- Flying Blind by Kirsty McLean
The winner's audio drama will feature as a bonus episode for the next series of our All Stations podcast.
John "Paddy" Hemingway, one of the last remaining Battle of Britain pilots, said: "The story of the Battle of Britain is one which should never be forgotten and I am pleased to hear the efforts of my fallen comrades will be remembered in this way."
Air Vice-Marshal Chris Elliot, Controller of the RAF Benevolent Fund, said: "We are very pleased to have had more than 120 entries for our competition with a range of compelling and moving plays which I know have made it difficult to draw up this shortlist. Thanks must go to everyone who took the time to submit entry.
"I am looking forward to hearing the finished production and to sharing it with our audiences to pay tribute to all of those who served during the Battle."
'A Gingerbread Man in the R.A.F' Teaser