Menu Donate Request our help

Helpline: 0300 102 1919

Skip to navigation

Housing costs

We can provide help with unexpected housing costs, and below are some of the ways in which we often assist.

Help with your home and accommodation

Accommodation and moving home

We understand that changes can happen in life that may mean you need to move home. In these circumstances, we may be able to provide short term assistance with accommodation and removal costs.

For example, if you are on a low income and at risk of homelessness we may be able to provide financial assistance with the cost of a security deposit/bond and the first month's rent whilst your Local Housing Allowance application is being processed.

We may also be able to assist you with removal costs, for example, if you are on a low income, are elderly or live with a disability, and are moving home to allow you to be closer to family members who can provide you with support.

Furniture/white goods

We may also be able to provide assistance with the cost of essential items of furniture and white goods.

For example, if you are on a low income, are homeless and move into an unfurnished rental property, or your cooker is broken, cannot be repaired and you are unable to afford to replace it. These examples are not exhaustive and we will look at each application individually to see whether we are able to provide assistance.

Essential property repairs

If you own a home, are experiencing financial difficulty and find that you can't afford to carry out essential repairs to your house, you can ask us for help.

An example of essential property repairs might be repairing a roof that leaks or a broken boiler.

We can give grants towards the payment of minor repairs, and we can provide low-interest loans secured on your property for more major work on your house. In the event that it's not possible to secure a loan, we may be able to help you in other ways.

We give priority if you are on a low income and have little or no savings. We can also help you find out about home improvement grants that may be available from your local council or, if not, about grants from a local Home Improvement Agency.

Affordable Warmth Scheme

The Affordable Warmth Scheme is a programme to fund the installation and upgrade of central heating including replacing boilers. We may also be able to assist with an additional grant if the grant you receive from the Affordable Warmth Scheme does not cover all of your heating improvement costs.

You can find out about the Affordable Warmth Scheme via

For further information about receiving help with your home or accommodation, enquire about receiving help or call our free support line on 0300 102 1919.


Join The Search. Change A Life.

We've launched a new campaign to reach RAF veterans – who may need support – to get the help they deserve. Do you need help or will you join the campaign by telling us about someone you know who could benefit from our help?

Find out more

Sign up to receive the RAFBF e-newsletter