Alan recalls: "It was minus 45 degrees outside and I whipped my gloves off to see to the wireless operator, Frank, whose oxygen bottle was faulty and had passed out."
The freezing temperature left Alan with severely frostbitten fingers and the aircraft made an emergency landing for Alan to be taken to Chichester Hospital. Back in England he was treated by the renowned plastic surgeon Archibald McIndoe, who managed to save his hands but unfortunately Alan had to have eight fingers amputated.
From that day, Alan became part of The Guinea Pig Club, something he has always been proud of. He says: "It was a home from home. It wasn't a hospital, it was great. They christened me 'Fingers Morgan' because I had none! I'm proud to be in The Guinea Pig Club."
A few years ago, the RAF Benevolent Fund were proud to support Alan and Ella, providing a scooter to help him get out and about and turning the couple's bathroom into an easily accessible wet room.