Can't find the information you're looking for? Read through these frequently asked questions.
What should I leave in my Will?
Your gift may take the form of a 'residuary', 'pecuniary', 'specific' or 'reversionary' legacy. These are defined as:
- Residuary – The whole or a percentage of an estate after all other gifts have been made and any debts settled.
- Pecuniary – A fixed sum of money left in your Will.
- Specific – Items such as a house to be sold or used, a medal or even stocks and shares.
- Reversionary - A gift which remains in the possession of family or friends before the whole or a percentage of the gift reverts to us following their passing.
Your gift can also be left to the RAF Benevolent Fund as a 'reversionary' gift; that is, a gift which goes to family or friends first during their lifetime, with the whole or a percentage reverting to us on their death.
I would like my gift to be used for a specific area of work – is this possible?
In most cases yes. Previously, we have received gifts 'restricted' to Princess Marina House, the Bomber Command Memorial and the Disabled Holiday Trust amongst others.
However, please speak to our fundraising team about 'restricted' gift because there are some cases where we may not be able to grant your wishes. Please call Kate Galbraith on 07568 427341 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
What information do I need to update or change my Will?
The minimum amount of information your solicitor will need is:
- Our charity registration number - 1081009 (England and Wales) SC038109 (Scotland)
- Our address: Royal Air Force Benevolent Fund, 67 Portland Place, London W1B 1AR
It will also be worth having an idea of what type of gift you want to leave.
- Charity registration number: 1081009 (England and Wales) SC038109 (Scotland)
- Address: Royal Air Force Benevolent Fund, 67 Portland Place, London, W1B 1AR
How do I word my Will?
Here is some example wording you could use to leave a gift in your will to the RAF Benevolent Fund.
You may wish to print this off and present it to your solicitor, if so, please specify your particular wishes by deleting as appropriate.
'I give XX per cent of the remainder of my estate or £ (cash amount) or my property of (give address) to the Royal Air Force Benevolent Fund of 67 Portland Place, London, W1B 1AR (charity registration number 1081009) for its charitable purposes. I further direct that the receipt of the finance director or other proper officer of the Royal Air Force Benevolent Fund shall be a full and proper discharge for the said legacy.'
Can you recommend a solicitor to write my Will?
If you need help to find a local solicitor, we recommend:
- VistingRemember A Charity website
- Contacting the Law Society on 020 7242 1222
- Finding your local Citizens Advice Bureau.
We cannot recommend a particular solicitor and unfortunately, we currently do not provide a Will writing service.
I already have a Will – Do I have to re-write it if I want to include a gift?
Not necessarily. If you already have a will and want to make small changes, it is possible to do so by adding a codicil, or supplement to your Will.
Download a codicil form (PDF 103KB), fill this in as instructed and return to you solicitor or whoever is looking after your Will.
Alternatively, you could write a letter to your solicitor stating your wishes. We recommend you consult your solicitor before making any substantial changes to your Will.
I plan to live to 100! Will my gift still be needed then?
Yes, certainly. The RAF has been serving Britain for almost 100 years and our services will be needed just as much in the future as new challenges to peace and security emerge.
The RAF's technology may change dramatically, but there will always be men and women prepared to put their lives on the line to protect our way of life, and we will always be here for them if they need our help thanks to your gifts.
I would like to talk to someone about my intended gift
Please contact our fundraising team on 07568 427341 or email email@example.com or write to us at Legacy and In Memoriam Fundraiser, RAF Benevolent Fund, 67 Portland Place, London W1B 1AR. We will be delighted to answer any queries you may have.