The Royal Air Force has a proud tradition of looking after its own. The RAF Benevolent Fund is the RAF’s leading welfare charity and is an extension of that tradition.
The RAF Benevolent Fund is part of the conscience of the British nation. Winston Churchill.
Since our foundation in 1919, we have been there, through thick and thin, supporting the RAF family. We are there for all serving and former members of the RAF as well as their partners and dependent children.
Why we exist
We have three main goals, or charitable objects. These are the reasons that we exist as a charity.
- The first is to maintain and preserve the RAF Memorial in London on behalf of the nation.
- The second is to provide assistance to the RAF family, when they are in need.
- The third is to support the morale and wellbeing of the serving RAF.
We are also responsible for the new Bomber Command Memorial in central London.
What we do
We provide a spectrum of care, supporting everyone from children growing up on RAF stations, to those serving today to keep our skies safe, to the veterans who fought for our freedom.
It could be supporting a Second World War pilot in later life, supporting the widow and children of an RAF reservist killed in action, or providing practical help to a young RAF Regiment gunner injured in Afghanistan.
We also run a range of innovative projects and services including:
- Airplay – a project supporting children and young people growing up on RAF stations
- Relationship counselling for RAF couples
- Respite breaks – welcome breaks from the frontline
- Princess Marina House - a relaxing, seaside home-from-home for the RAF family
- And much more.
We spend over £22 million each year supporting over 68,000 people, and we rely on you to make it all happen.
How we are funded
We are an independent charity and we receive no government funding. We rely entirely on your support to continue our work. We work hard to keep our overheads low – 88 pence in every pound donated goes directly to support the RAF family.
How you can support us
You can support us in many different ways, and it all makes a difference to the RAF family. You can:
- Fundraise for us – host a pub quiz night or run a marathon
- Donate – every donation counts no matter how big or small
- Leave a gift in your will – and make a difference for future generations
- Volunteer – help out at an airshow or volunteer your skills
- Join our community – find us on Facebook and Twitter
Find out more
There is more detailed information about our work and how we spend our money in our annual review and report. If you need our support, you can apply online or if you need any further information please get in touch.