A list of contact details for useful organisations is given below. Please let us know of any other organisations you have found useful.
RAF Benevolent Fund
The RAF Benevolent Fund help members of the RAF Family deal with a wide range of issues: from childcare to injury and disability, and from financial hardship and debt to illness and bereavement.
- Address: 67 Portland Place, London W1B 1AR
- Telephone: 020 7580 8343
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Pay and pensions enquiry service
- Address: AFPAA (G) Pensions Division, Mail Point 480, Kentigern House, 65 Brown Street, Glasgow, G2 8EX
- Telephone: 0800 085 3600 or 0141 224 3600
- Email: JPAC@spva.mod.uk or email@example.com
Pay Master General's Office (PGO Crawley)
For specific enquiries about the payment of your Forces Family Pension and Armed Forces Compensation Scheme benefits. If you are remarrying you need to write to both Norcross, regarding the War Widow Pension, and Glasgow, regarding the Forces Family Pension.
- Address: Sutherland House, Russell Way, Crawley, West Sussex RH10 1UH
- Telephone: 0845 121 2514
Veterans Welfare Service
In April 2007, the MOD officially launched the Service Personnel and Veterans Agency, aimed at improving personnel, pensions, welfare and support services to members of the Armed Forces and veterans. When contacting, please have your National Insurance number to hand.
- Telephone: 0808 1914 2 18 (8.30am to 4pn, Mon-Fri)
- Website: www.veterans-uk.info/welfare/contact
The Forces Children's Trust
Quaver Rest, 65 Shawley Way, Surrey KT18 5PD
Telephone: 01737 361077
The Forces Pension Society
"We exist to ensure that serving and retired members of the Armed Forces, their widows, widowers, surviving partners, civil partners and dependents receive the pension to which they are entitled and which they deserve."
- Address: 68 South Lambeth Road, London SW8 1RL
- Telephone: 0207 820 9988
- Website: www.forpen.org
Service Children Support Network
- Website: www.servicechildrensupportnetwork.com
- Newsletter: Service Children Support Network - newsletter autumn 2012 (PDF 4MB)
- Newsletter: Service Children Support Network - newsletter summer 2012 (PDF 6MB)
- Telephone: 0845 790 9090 (24 hours)
- Website: www.samaritans.org.uk
“We provide support for the serving men and women in today's Armed Forces and for those who have served – even if it was only for a single day.”
- Address: SSAFA Forces Help, 19 Queen Elizabeth Street, London SE1 2LP
- Telephone: 0845 130 0975
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Scotty's Little Soldiers
This is a charity dedicated to supporting the children of personnel killed in action. They have opened a holiday home in Great Yarmouth that is available for any service widow.
National Council of Women
An umbrella organisation for many women's groups. Also holds local meetings. NCW respond to all proposed changes of legislation on behalf of women.
- Address: 36 Danbury Street, Islington London N1 8JU
- Telephone: 0207 354 2395
- Website: www.ncwgb.org
Royal Air Forces Association (RAFA)
The headquarters can put you in touch with your nearest RAFA Welfare Officer. Their war pensions Welfare Officer can advise on war pension matters.
- Address: 117 Loughborough Road, Leicester LE4 5ND
- Telephone: 01162 665 224
- Website: www.rafa.org.uk
The Big White Wall
Big White Wall is an online early intervention service for people in psychological distress. It is provided in partnership with the Tavistock and Portman NHS Foundation Trust. Big White Wall combines social networking principles with a choice of clinically informed interventions to improve mental wellbeing. It can be accessed 24/7 and has staff (Wall Guides) who ensure the full engagement, safety and anonymity of all members.
Big White Wall is a community of people who are experiencing common mental health problems who are supported to self-manage their own mental health. According to members, one of the most important elements of the service is the ability to talk freely, whilst remaining completely anonymous.
- Address: 4th Floor, 104-110 Goswell Road, London EC1V 7DH
- Telephone: 020 7060 1677
- Website: www.bigwhitewall.com
Citizens Advice Bureau
- Website: www.citizensadvice.org.uk
The Compassionate Friends (TCF)
TCF is a charitable organsiation of bereaved parents, siblings and grandparents dedicated to the support and care of other bereaved parents, siblings and grandparents who have suffered the death of a child.
- Address: 53 North Street, Bristol BS3 1EN
- Telephone: 0845 120 3785 (National Office)
- Telephone: 0845 123 2304 (Helpline)
- Website: www.tcf.org.uk
The purpose of the site is ultimately to provide the UK with a huge counselling support network, enabling those in distress to find a counsellor close to them and appropriate for their needs. This is a free, confidential service that will hopefully encourage those in distress to seek help.
- Website: www.counselling-directory.org.uk
Cruse Bereavement Care
“Cruse Bereavement Care exists to promote the well-being of bereaved people and to enable anyone bereaved by death to understand their grief and cope with their loss. Services are free to bereaved people. The organisation provides support and offers information, advice, education and training services.”
- Address: PO Box 800, Richmond, Surrey TW9 1RG
- Telephone: 0844 477 9400 (Helpline)
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: www.cruse.org.uk
Royal British Legion
- Address: 199 Borough High Street, London SE1 1AA
- Telephone: 0203 207 2100
- Telephone: 0808 802 8080 (general enquiries)
- Telephone: 0207 973 7331 (pensions)
- Website: www.britishlegion.org.uk
Defence Discount Card
The Defence Service was launched by our Prime Minister David Cameron and will be valid until Feb 2015 and allows members of the Armed Forces, their families and Veterans to make savings both online and on the high street.
For further information and to apply for the card go to www.defencediscountservice.co.uk.
Child Benefit helpline
- Telephone: 0845 302 1444
Home-Start helps families with young children deal with whatever life throws at them. They support parents as they learn to cope, improve their confidence and build better lives for their children.
- Website: www.home-start.org.uk
- More information about Home-Start (Word doc 27KB)
- Home-Start leaflet for families (PDF 1.50MB)
War Widows Association
- Address: c/o 199 Borough High Street, London SE1 1AA
- Telephone: 0845 241 2189
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Survivors of Bereavement by Suicide
- Telephone: 0844 561 6855 (Helpline 9am-9pm)
- Website: www.uk-sobs.org.uk
Providing support for victims of road crashes and campaigning for justice, road safety and road danger reduction.
- Telephone: 0845 450 0355 (Helpline 9am-5pm)
- Website: www.roadpeace.org
National Association of Bereavement Services
- Address: 2nd Floor, 4 Pinchin Street, London E1 6DB
- Telephone: 0207 709 9090 (Helpline 10am-4pm)
- Website: www.stjohnshospice.org.uk
Royal Navy Royal Marines Widows' Association
‘The Royal Navy Royal Marines Widows' Association recently formed with the aim of bringing friendship, support, guidance and comfort to those who have experienced the trauma of bereavement. We have created this website, both as a place to bring together information which we hope you will find useful and to offer our services to you at this difficult time.
- Website: www.rnrmwidowsassociation.org
Army Widows Association
The Army Widows Association was formed by widows in 2004. Our aim is to offer comfort, support and friendship to the widows and widowers of service men and women and help them resolve some of the difficulties they may face after the death of their spouse.
- Website: www.armywidows.org.uk
Service Personnel and Veterans Agency
The Veterans-UK brand has been launched with a new helpline number: 0300 1234 123 which is hoped will encourage veterans who need help or advice to contact the SPVA.
- Website: www.gov.uk/government/groups/veterans-welfare-service
- Address: Service Personnel & Veterans Agency, Room 6303, Tomlinson House, Norcross
Thornton-Cleveleys FY5 3WP
- Telephone: 01253 338816 (direct Line) Ext 68816
The Royal School Hampstead Trust
The School is a registered charity. Its main object is to support children and young people under the age of 25 who are, or have been, dependants of serving or former members of the Armed Services and who would not achieve their educational potential without extra financial support.
- Website: www.rshtrust.com
Queen Victoria School, Dunblane, Scotland
Queen Victoria School is fully funded by the Ministry of Defence to provide the continuity and stability which boarding education offers, for the children of UK Armed Forces personnel who are Scottish, have served in Scotland or are/were part of a Scottish Regiment.
QVS is a fully boarding school, coeducational and tri-service. All necessary expenses for each pupil are met by the Ministry of Defence, and we have a particular mission to care for those families who could not otherwise afford boarding education.
- Address: Victoria School, Dunblane FK15 0JY
- Website: www.qvs.org.uk
WAY Widowed and Young
WAY Widowed and Young is a self-help group that offers emotional and practical support to young widowed men and women as they adjust to life after the death of their partner.
- Address: Suite 35, St Loyes House, 20 St Loyes Street, Bedford MK40 1ZL
- Website: www.wayfoundation.org.uk
Winston's Wish is a charity offering support and guidance to bereaved children, families and professionals.
- Address: 3rd Floor, Cheltenham House, Clarence Street, Cheltenham GL50 3JR
- Website: www.winstonswish.org.uk