Skip to main content

Living independently

We know how important it is to stay independent. Home adaptations and mobility aids can improve your quality of life and help you to continue living safely in your own home.

Local authorities have a statutory responsibility to help you or someone you know with a disability to live independently at home. They may be able to give you a Disabled Facilities Grant if they live in England or Wales, or a Home Improvement Grant if they're in Scotland.

Home adaptations

We can assist with adaptations where statutory support is not available, or if there is a long delay in getting help from the council. This includes installing wheelchair ramps and stair lifts, widening door frames and improving ground floor facilities.

These adaptations must be recommended by an occupational therapist who has assessed a person's situation. If a visit has not already taken place, we'll arrange this. NHS trusts also have a duty to provide essential equipment to meet people's care needs.

Aids for the home

Care equipment can make a big difference to a person's comfort and independence. This can include:

  • Electrically operated profiling beds
  • Electrically operated riser and recliner chairs
  • Electrically operated bath lifts
  • Specialised computer equipment
  • Other care equipment such as hoists, telecare and interactive lighting technology
  • Basic telecare alarms

Please note that if equipment is required on medical grounds then your local social services department or NHS trust has a duty to provide any equipment which they feel is essential to meet your care needs, so we will ask you to ensure they are providing everything they should.

We can advise on the application and assessment procedure and may be able to help provide the equipment if you are not eligible for help from statutory agencies. But if mobility aids aren't available elsewhere, we may be able to help directly.

Mobility equipment

If you, your partner or dependent child have a disability and are finding it difficult to get out and about, we can help. Our mobility scheme loans mobility scooters and electric and manual wheelchairs to those who need them.

It's important to find out what statutory help is available first. For example, people who receive certain benefits may be able to get an electric powered vehicle (EPV) through the Motability Scheme.

Benefits include the higher rate of Disability Living Allowance (Mobility), the enhanced rate of the mobility component of Personal Independence Payment, the War Pensioners' Mobility Supplement or the Armed Forces Independence Payment.

We can support you to get around with mobility scooters, electric wheelchairs and manual wheelchairs. We will organise an occupational therapist’s assessment to advise on the most suitable scooter or wheelchair.

If you are interested in purchasing mobility equipment but do not need financial help with this, Midshires Powerchairs, who are our provider, may still be able to offer special discounted rates as agreed with us, and in most instances are able to offer a free, no obligation assessment and trial in your own home.

If you would like more information on their products, you can contact them directly on 01889 582 332 or email and advise them of your RAF connection.

Need our help?

If you require our help, please complete our request our help form or call us on our free support line on 0300 102 1919.

Am I eligible for support?

View our eligibility checklist to see if you would qualify for help.