Menu Donate Request our help

Helpline: 0300 102 1919

Skip to navigation

Care home fees

If you or a relative requires long-term care, we may be able to help you in a number of different ways.

Care home fees

Sometimes someone may only consider residential care after a crisis.

They may have been hospitalised, had several minor accidents in the home or quite simply be unable to cope with totally independent daily living.

Going into to a care home offers many benefits and can provide peace of mind, security and companionship.

The process leading to the decision to move into a care home will normally start with a care needs assessment carried out by the Local Authority Adult Social Care Team. However, if hospitalised, the hospital social workers should carry out the care needs assessment prior to discharge.

Following the care needs assessment, it is then followed by a means tested financial assessment to assess whether you should pay part or all of the care fees and how much the local authority will contribute towards the fees.

Social services should provide you with details of homes at their usual funding rate. They should not ask for a top-up if a home is not available at their usual rate.

However, if a private care home is chosen in order to be close to family and friends, the care fees charged by the home may be outside the usual funding rate available. If a more expensive home is chosen, social services will expect families to commit to pay the difference between the fees and the usual funding rate. This is when the RAF Benevolent may be able to assist financially.

Our normal level of benevolence for top-up fees is between £40 and £50 per week, subject to meeting the RAF Benevolent Fund's criteria and subsequent approval of an application.

There are a number of organisations who have care homes with a military connection. This includes The Royal British Legion as well as Royal Star & Garter Homes.

Advice and Advocacy Service

The RAF Benevolent Fund now has an advice and advocacy service if you wish to seek assistance with any problems including:

  • Care in the home (domiciliary care)
  • Getting a care assessment
  • Continuing HealthCare (CHC)
  • Top-up fees
  • Disabled Facility Grants
  • Problems with other care related problems

Find out more about our Advice and Advocacy service.

Need our help?

Enquire about receiving help or call our free support line on 0300 102 1919.


Join The Search. Change A Life.

We've launched a new campaign to reach RAF veterans – who may need support – to get the help they deserve. Do you need help or will you join the campaign by telling us about someone you know who could benefit from our help?

Find out more

Sign up to receive the RAFBF e-newsletter