For partners of people serving in the RAF, there can be several challenges from dealing with deployments and frequent moves to paying for childcare and planning for the future.
Through research we have carried out, we're aware that the most significant barriers to partners moving forward are not a lack of experience or qualifications, or writing CVs or interview skills, but identifying what they want to achieve and the routes to do this.
Our new programme, Thrive, aims to help partners overcome these barriers and aims to also:
- increase the employability of partners who are looking for paid employment
- further the skills of partners who are already resourceful
- explore alternatives to paid employment
- improve overall wellbeing and emotional resilience
- reduce social isolation
We will be running Thrive workshops across the RAF through the use of online platforms and these will be led by qualified coaches who themselves have served or are partners of the serving RAF.
To register your interest, simply fill in our online form.
The workshops, depending on each of their main focus, will involve the following::
- What holds you back – identifying self-limiting beliefs and identifying ways to overcome them.
- Wellbeing – involving a holistic approach covering physical, emotional, spiritual, intellectual, environmental, occupational and social wellbeing.
- Resilience – focusing on your ability to maintain mental health and wellbeing when faced with adversity. The ability to remain effective at home and work. The workshop will address four key areas – awareness, thinking, reaching out and fitness.
- Values, skills and strengths – involving exercises particularly aimed at those seeking to return to work or move jobs. It will explore and identify values to enable participants to better 'fit into' companies, recognising your key skills and how to describe them in a transferrable way and looking at your strengths focusing on positive outlooks.
- Hot seating – where you will have a turn at being in the 'hot seat' and describe your particular focus or goal. Not only does this provide many different ways for you to move forward, this could be a good way in helping you to decide if you would like to go to receive further coaching or possibly specialist training.
Sign up to Thrive
To register your interest in taking part in our Thrive programme, please fill in our online form.
During the COVID-19 lockdown period we were pleased to offer a series of online workshops to the partners of RAF personnel. The next workshops will take place in February and March, with limited availability of 10 attendants per workshop. With that in mind, we encourage you to submit your application as soon as you can to guarantee your space is reserved. More details as follows:
The workshop will explore what a more confident version of yourself looks like, and how to enhance self-belief. The workshop is broken down into four sessions lasting 90 minutes each and starting at 10am. Ideal for those who prefer gradual learning or have less time to commit. We have one date available:
- From 4 February until 25 February.
This workshop will show you how to set realistic goals. Over a period of four weeks of coaching, you will work together with a Facilitator and be shown how to create change. All you need to do is change 1% in a week which, over a year, is 37%. The marginal gains are what wins the day. Sessions start at 10am and last 90 minutes each. We have one date available:
- From 11 March until 1 April.
We ask that you indicate your 1st and 2nd preferred course in the application form. We may need to offer you the 2nd preference if your first choice is oversubscribed by the time of your application. Please keep and eye on our website for future workshops.
The workshops are free to attend.
If you would like more information about our Thrive programme, please contact Lauren Cooper, Welfare Programmes Coordinator on 020 7307 3337 or email Lauren.Cooper@rafbf.org.uk.